Yes, the child care credit can only be claimed by the custodial parent. This is true even if you cannot claim the child's exemption because the divorce decree allows the other parent to claim the exemption, or you have released the exemption on Form 8332. If the both parents have physical custody of the child, only the parent who has longer custody can take the deduction