If you are eligible for the child care credit, you need your caregiver’s taxpayer identification number. It is required to be included on your tax return. If the caregiver is an individual, you will need his or her social security number. If you take your child to a day care center, you will need their employer identification number. If the provider is a tax-exempt organization, the identification number is not needed, but the term "Tax-Exempt" must be indicated on Form 2441, Line 1(c) [§21(e)(9)].