Although you won't have to notify the IRS of the name change, you will have to notify the Social Security administration. You do this by filing Form SS-5 at your local SSA office.  If you changed your name as a result of a recent marriage or divorce you’ll want to take the necessary steps to ensure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration. A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records can cause problems in the processing of your return and may even delay your refund.